Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the mom i have become

I am an instinctual mama. I use my instincts to parent. It should be that simple but alas, it is not the way of the world.
I consider myself a work in progress, a woman of many talents, interests, and roles. My parenting is also a work in progress and I have not always held my current parenting philosophies.
In my early parenting stage I considered myself knowledgeable and loving. I read books, followed doctor's orders and was completely mainstream (with the exception of vaccine schedules, i've never trusted those buggars). I took my baby to the Dr. for every sniffle, and I weaned him at 10 months when I realized I was prego because a book said that my poor little fetus wasn't getting any nutrition if his big brother was drinking it all up :-p My second nursed awhile longer (14 months) and I made excuses and finally weaned him because he was over a year and people said he was too old. My daughter showed up two and a half year later and I was really coming into my own. Her birth was just as I wanted and I was really begining to use more natural ways of disciplining and treating sickness. I made all of my own babyfood. My boys and I were cosleeping, miss pip was riding around like a papoose on anyone who would wear her and I was laying the smack down on the pediatrician. By the time I delivered my fourth, I had personally offended 4 out of the 5 Dr's at my pediatrician's office. I was growing an organic garden and making babyfood to freeze, i was storing milk in the deep freezer, and babywearing, breastfeeding, and cosleeping like a real instinctual mama. I had evolved. There was no moment when I 'decided' to parent this way, I just let my instincts take over.
I have never felt more sure of myself. I have never felt stronger! The best part of it all is watching my little muffins thrive. Check out instinctual mamas blog to connect with other mamas who parent with heart.

2 comments:

  1. <3
    That is exactly ho my parenting has evolved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have felt things have evolved in a similar way for myself. I didn't trust my instincts at first but when I got a nudge and a kick in the right direction, its all I can do.

    ReplyDelete